Dr. Seth Meyers, Clinical Psychologist

Dr. Seth Meyers, Clinical Psychologist

Thursday, June 21, 2012

STOP IT NOW: Jerry Sandusky Does NOT Have Histrionic Personality Disorder

I've been following the Jerry Sandusky trial which means that I, like millions of others, have had to learn deeply upsetting details about his alleged sexual abuse of multiple boys. Honestly, I don't want to sugar coat the issue, so I shouldn't even qualify the abuse as "alleged." Ten or more boys report you sexually abused them? Um, here's a wild and crazy idea: You probably abused them. These cases kill me because the damage to these poor kids has already been done, so there's never any real retribution. Everything about the situation is despicable. Though I've never met him, I feel hatred toward him for what he apparently did over approximately fifteen years.

Anyhow, the latest piece of news I read about Sandusky reported that a psychologist who tested Sandusky diagnosed him with Histrionic Personality Disorder. No, I haven't assessed him, but I can tell you that this man does not have Histrionic Personality Disorder. That particular personality disorder isn't related to pedophilia. If you want to associate personality disorders with the sexual abuse of children, you'd diagnose the individual with either Narcissistic or Antisocial Personality Disorder.

Ultimately, I'm glad I wasn't required to assess him, write the report, or interview him because I don't think I could contain my anger. And the idea that he could hide behind some ridiculous and inaccurrate diagnosis pushes me even further over the edge. Honestly, just stop it now!

Check out the article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/18/jerry-sandusky-trial-histrionic-personality-disorder_n_1607494.html

No comments: