Dr. Seth Meyers, Clinical Psychologist

Dr. Seth Meyers, Clinical Psychologist

Friday, November 18, 2011

Demi and Ashton's Divorce: Can A Huge Age Difference Work?

.
Well, even if you don't read the tabloids or watch any number of - let's admit it - trashy television shows that track the lives of celebrities, you've probably heard by now that Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher are calling it quits. This separation begs for a little water-cooler chatter: Can a marriage really last if there is such an enromous age difference between each member of the couple?

As a rule, the answer is...No. Of course, there are exceptions and you may even be able to name a couple or two in real life who have managed to maintain a happy, long-term relationship. But please trust me when I say this: THESE ARE THE EXCEPTIONS.

I'm 38 years old, and I can assure you that the ways that I spend my Friday evenings at this point in my life, for example, are pretty damn different from how I spent them when I was, say, 25 years old. To give you a full picture, as I write this, I've got one of my dogs seated on the couch next to me and a fire that's burning in my living room fireplace. When I was 25? Child, please. I can assure you that I was somewehere that was loud, packed with people, and brimming with all the energy that comes with having the rest of your life ahead of you.

When it comes to a couple, such as Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher, I'm hard-pressed to believe that there aren't major differences in the ways that a 49 year old and a 33 year old choose to spend their time, or the kinds of energy levels they have. A difference of 16 years? Come on, let's everyone be honest.

Sure, it can work for a very rare few, but I wouldn't recommend such an enormous age difference for anyone looking for lasting love.

1 comment:

Sushil said...

Hi all,
Register with us now and select South Dakota,New Jersey,Online Senior Personals and USA Free Dating from the list of states to find your date now.
seniors dating free