Dr. Seth Meyers, Clinical Psychologist

Dr. Seth Meyers, Clinical Psychologist

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Start Meditating, Damn It!

If you don't already meditate, I seriously encourage you to give it a try. Out of all of the techniques I have been trained in and use with clients, this is one of the ones that I see bringing some of the most positive results.

I know, I know: You can't calm down enough to do it? Well, the simple answer is that you must force yourself, even if just in increments of 60 seconds. Now, that's not so long, is it?

When you start meditating, seat yourself on the floor, sit up straight with the best possible posture, and take a few deep breaths. Don't worry about clearing your mind immediately, because that often only comes with tremendous practice over time. Simply picture a peaceful scene (the beach, a prairie, whatever it takes) to get yourself started.

Again, don't get yourself worked up in subscribing to the idea that you have to meditate for a full hour for it to make any difference - that's all B.S. Just put one foot in front of the other, and give it a super-short try! Finally, if you don't believe me, poll ten or so friends and ask of they have begun to incorporate meditation into their daily lives. Sooner or later, I guarantee you that you will find someone who swears by it.

P.S. If this is any consolation, I will admit that I, too, am working on developing this practice in my own life and am working my way up to five-minute sessions. Kinda sad, I know, but I'm certainly trying!

No comments: