Dr. Seth Meyers, Clinical Psychologist

Dr. Seth Meyers, Clinical Psychologist

Monday, December 20, 2010

Realizing Your Dreams Isn't Easy


Late last night, I got back from New York City where I met with magazine staff and signed copies of my books at Barnes and Nobles and Borders bookstores where I was promoting my new book, Dr. Seth's Love Prescription.


It was a dream of mine since I was a teenager to write a book and get published. Yet making it happen was far from easy. I had to write the book proposal, find an agent, sell the book to a publisher, then finish writing it. But it didn't end there: as soon as it came out - and even during the time leading up to its launch - I had to start promoting it. The work never ends. I've said to others all along that no one ever hands you your dream career on a platter - you have to work your fingers to the bone to make that career happen.

This past weekend, I was in many bookstores where I saw the endless stacks of books written by huge media stars of all trades - Keith Olbermann, Whoopi Goldberg, The Barefoot Contessa, and so on. I thought about the fact that huge stars like these are lucky in that their name recognition alone will guarentee a certain level of sales for them. It's the unknown authors, like me, who have to work a thousand times harder to sell their books and build the career they've dreamed of.

Without question, I am willing to do the work. I am a quasi-workaholic and am always in a race with myself to be more productive. Along the journey toward getting my book published, I've come across many men and women who've shared their own dreams of writing a book one day.

If you have such a dream, hold onto that dream and never give up. I always tell my clients this: the difference between very successful people and people who aren't is that the very successful people NEVER GIVE UP.

I'm both happy and proud to achieve this life-long dream of becoming a published author, and I'm wiser for learning that achieving this dream is far more work and far less glamorous than I ever imagained. Yet there is something undeniably sacred and life-affirming in having a dream, working toward it, and watching it come true before your eyes.

If you have a dream to write your own book or, perhaps, to do something in another realm, chase that dream, believe in yourself, and never - ever - give up.

As I write this, I am taking my own advice!

PLUS: Dr. Seth's new book, Dr. Seth's Love Prescription: Overcome Relationship Repetition Syndrome and Find the Love You Deserve, is about how to stop repeating bad patterns in your romantic relationships. It's in every Barnes & Noble store, as well as Borders and others, and online at Amazon.com!

No comments: