Dr. Seth Meyers, Clinical Psychologist

Dr. Seth Meyers, Clinical Psychologist

Monday, September 27, 2010

Film Review: You Again (2010)


Okay, so I admit it: I love a good cheesy comedy, even those that might fall under the term 'chick flick.' We all have our faults, and this is one of mine. So, it was a little upsetting that I spent $13 this past weekend to see the new film "You Again," starring Sigourney Weaver, Jamie Lee Curtis, and the dame-of-the-day Betty White, and felt (a tiny bit) like I'd wasted money.

I won't bore you with my specific complaints, but I will take a moment to tell you that the film's storyline centered around the conflicts your average teenage girl has with the Most Popular Girl In School. This story chronicles the many ways that girls pit themselves against each other from a young age, and shows how the girls with social power seriously damage the self-esteem of the less popular girls in school.

The film underscores a truth that I believe poses a challenge to nearly every kind of relationship: the lack of support due to underlying fear or competition. Recently, a co-worker told me about something her 80-year old father said which was a little critical. I told my co-worker that she needed to remind her father that support is the most important thing you can offer to another person, and explain to him that what he said didn't feel very supportive.

In the film, the girls realize - much later than one would hope - that they should have supported each other more in their relationships. I'm sure you can think about situations in your life in which someone - mean girl at school, family member, or romantic partner - said something critical. The next time someone does this to you, simply let them know that you try to be supportive with them, and ask for the same thing in return.

And, think twice about going to see that movie.

No comments: