Dr. Seth Meyers, Clinical Psychologist

Dr. Seth Meyers, Clinical Psychologist

Monday, March 16, 2009

Dr. Seth: Back From Vacation

After a week in the sunny Caribbean, I am back to reality. When I returned, my Tivo was full of recorded programs detailing the domestic violence dispute between two popular singers, Rihanna and Chris Brown. I can't say enough about how important this coverage is.

Typically, I am one of the voices who criticizes the media for overindulging in stories that aren't important for us to know too much about (e.g., Anna Nicole Smith, the mother of octuplets). It's a breath of fresh air to see the media spend so much time on something that is often a dark, hidden secret - domestic violence.

If you are a parent, I urge you to use this situation as a sprningboard for discussion in your own home. The danger with this particular situation is that both singers involved in the alleged incident are stars whom young people look up to. This is a great time to talk to your children about how celebrity is simply a myth and that we should not idealize the behavior of anyone whom we don't truly know.

No comments: